Is there a state-endorsed certification process?
Yes -- Certified Peer Support Worker
Does the state differentiate between Mental Health Peer Support Specialists and Substance Use Peer Support Specialists?
No, per the Medicaid provider's manual: "A Certified Peer Support Worker (CPSW) is an individual in recovery with mental health and/or substance use conditions who has successfully completed a training class and passed a certification exam.
What are the educational requirements to apply for a peer specialist training program?
High School Diploma or GED
What are the personal requirements to apply for a peer specialist training program?
18 years of age or older. Self-identify as a current or former consumer of mental health and/or substance abuse services. Applicant must self-attest to 2 or more years of continuous recovery. The applicant may be asked to provide a letter of reference attesting to the individual’s recovery.
What are the professional requirements needed to apply for a peer specialist training program?
The application includes a written application and a brief (15- 20 minute) telephone interview.
What are the training requirements to become a Certified Peer Specialist?
Complete the Peer Support Worker training offered through the Office of Peer Recovery and Engagement by State Approved Trainers. 40 hours of "formal classroom" time over 5 days
What is the average cost for CPS training?
Free (paid for by the State of New Mexico)
Who is responsible for paying for training? (List all)
Training is currently free. Trainees must pay for their own lodging, food and travel costs.
Other potential funding sources.
Is there a state-wide certification test?
Yes. Applicants must pass New Mexico’s certification exam with a score of 75% or better (45 correct answers out of 60 questions). The NMCBBHP administers the certification exams quarterly, sites will be determined, and participants will be advised.
What are the personal/professional requirements for certification, if they differ from attending the training?
A CPSW candidate must complete 40 supervised hours of volunteer or paid work with direct client contact in a behavioral health agency.
Is a background check required? If so, is a criminal record a disqualification for certification?
Certain criminal offenses are a disqualification for certification, per the Medicaid provider's manual. "Have no convictions for domestic violence, sexual offenses or other serious crimes against persons."
What is the cost of the certification test?
Does the certification test need to be taken regularly to maintain certification?
Aside from any fees for the training or state-wide certification test, are there other certification fees/costs?
Late Fee of $100 will be required for a late renewal, which is when your certificate has expired and you are applying to renew.
Is there a statewide certification body?
Please provide as much information about the certification board/body as possible.
New Mexico Credentialing Board for Behavioral Health Professionals NMCBBHP PO BOX 66405 Albuquerque NM 87193 [email protected] 505-974-5090
Where can information be found for upcoming peer support trainings?
On average, how often are trainings held in your state?
Average 6 a year.
Training providers (vendors) and their contact information.
The Office of Peer Recovery and Engagement State of New Mexico tel:1-505-476-6290
What are the continuing education requirements?
40 hours of continuing education, Six (6) hours must be of professional ethics and responsibilities Six (6) hours must be in Cultural Competency Remaining hours must be related to Peer Support Services; Behavioral Health and/or Social Work. Continuing Education Units must be from an approved provider. The review committee of NMCBBHP, Inc. will review other credible, documented credential related continuing education hour event (including conferences) on a case by case basis for approval. There will be charge of $5 per credit to review education contact hours earned through a non-approved NMCBBHP provider. We will not accept certificates of attendance with no CE hours provided or without a signature. Refer to the checklist form for assistance in completing your CPSW renewal.
Who tracks CEUs?
The certified individual. Documentation must be submitted to the New Mexico Credentialing Board with the application for re-certification.
Is there a certification requirement for CPS Supervisors? If yes, provide details of requirements and relevant information.

Additional specializations available for certified peer specialists:
Certified Supportive Housing Peer Specialist
What are the different acronyms used to distinguish peer supporters and specific peer support specialties?
CPSW - Certified Peer Support Worker CWF - Certified Wraparound Facilitator CFPSW - Certified Family Peer Support Worker
Are Certified Peer Specialists services Medicaid reimbursable?
How are peer support services paid for by the state? What specific Medicaid waivers are used, if any?
Medicaid Waiver is a 1115 Demonstration called "Centennial Care."
Is digital peer support available? Medicaid reimbursable?
Yes, and yes.
Is there a statewide Peer Specialist organization?

Name of Statewide Peer Specialists Organization*

Peer Specialists Organization Website*

Peer Specialists Organization Primary Contact*

Other relevant/helpful contacts:*
Melisha Montano, OPRE Program Director [email protected] Phone: 505-476-6290 Nathan Lawson, CPSW, Office of Peer Recovery and Engagement Training Coordinator [email protected]
Are there conferences held in the state specifically for Peer Supporters?
There is a Peer Summit
Are there recognition or award opportunities for peer support specialists or Substance Use Peer Support Specialists?
Yearly New Mexico hosts a “Peer Summit” where peers are recognized. Also, monthly the OPRE newsletter hosts a peer and their individual recovery story featuring a picture of the peer.
Additional Info*

If there are recent changes to the certification process due to COVID-19, are the changes permanent, temporary or other?
Temporary, although long-lasting. Training and initial certification applications are frozen from July 17th through March 2021.

We Want to Hear From You

If you have any additional information or updates you would like seen on our site, click on "Share Helpful Information." We’re always trying to improve our content. Click on "Give Us Your Feedback” to let us know how we’re doing.