Is there a state-endorsed certification process?
Does the state differentiate between Mental Health Peer Support Specialists and Substance Use Peer Support Specialists?
What are the educational requirements to apply for a peer specialist training program?
A high school diploma or jurisdictionally certified high school equivalency is required.
What are the personal requirements to apply for a peer specialist training program?
Individuals with lived experience in recovery from substance use, mental health, or co-occurring challenges. Must be in recovery for at least two years prior to certification. Recovery is characterized by continual growth and improvement in one’s health and wellness that may involve setbacks. Because setbacks are a natural part of life, resilience becomes a key component of recovery.
What are the professional requirements needed to apply for a peer specialist training program?
None for training community training track. If applicant chooses University Training track they must meet University of Nevada, Reno's admission requirements
What are the training requirements to become a Certified Peer Specialist?
Completion of 46 hours of Nevada Certification Board approved training (foundational peer recovery and support specialist training), specific to the Peer Recovery and Support domains: 10 hours of Advocacy; 10 hours of Mentoring/Education; 10 hours of Recovery/Wellness Support; and 16 hours of Ethical Responsibility. *Alternative Training: University training track - University of Nevada, Reno's 12-credit Peer Support Specialist Training (applicants must be enrolled at the University)
What is the average cost for CPS training?
"Peer Recovery Support Specialist Training Course through Foundation for Recovery is free CASAT offers an online, self-paced: Peer Support Specialist 101 for $99 and an in-person training, cost unknown. *University training track requires individuals to
Who is responsible for paying for training? (List all)
Other potential funding sources.

Is there a state-wide certification test?
Yes, applications are required to pass the IC&RC Peer Recovery Examination
What are the personal/professional requirements for certification, if they differ from attending the training?
500 hours of volunteer or paid work experience specific to the domains of: Advocacy, Mentoring/Education, Recovery/Wellness Support, Ethical Responsibility. (If individual is completing the University training track they only need to complete 200 hours of field experience) Must complete 25 hours of supervision specific to the 4 domains. Supervision must be provided by an organization's documented and qualified supervisory staff per job description. The NCB PR Certification Board must approve all supervisors. (*Same amount of supervised hours required of University training track) Applicant must agree to adhere to the Nevada Certification Board's peer recovery specific code of ethics.
Is a background check required? If so, is a criminal record a disqualification for certification?

What is the cost of the certification test?
Initial Certification is $165 which includes the cost of the exam
Does the certification test need to be taken regularly to maintain certification?
Aside from any fees for the training or state-wide certification test, are there other certification fees/costs?
Total certification fee for initial certification is $165 (including cost of exam) Renewal cost is $100
Is there a statewide certification body?
Please provide as much information about the certification board/body as possible.
Nevada Certification Board Mailing Address: P.O. Box 14220 Reno, NV 89507 Phone: 775-784-6203 Email: [email protected]
Where can information be found for upcoming peer support trainings?
On average, how often are trainings held in your state?
Foundation for Recovery training seems to be offered a few times per year. CASAT online course offered year-round
Training providers (vendors) and their contact information.
Foundation for Recovery Northern Peer Recovery Community Center: 621 Pyramid Way Sparks, NV 89431 775-384-9513 Southern Peer Recovery Community Center: 4800 Alpine Place, Suite 12 Las Vegas, NV 89107 702-257-8199 Center for the Application of Substance Abuse Technologies (CASAT) - Part of University of Nevada, Reno 1664 N. Virginia St. Orvis Building Rm. 225 Reno, NV 89509 775-784-6265
What are the continuing education requirements?
20 hours of continuing education must be earned every two years, including 6 hours in ethics
Who tracks CEUs?
Is there a certification requirement for CPS Supervisors? If yes, provide details of requirements and relevant information.

Additional specializations available for certified peer specialists:
There are Veteran Peer Support Specialist but this is not related to the state's PRSS certification
What are the different acronyms used to distinguish peer supporters and specific peer support specialties?
PRSS: Peer Recovery and Support Specialist
Are Certified Peer Specialists services Medicaid reimbursable?
How are peer support services paid for by the state? What specific Medicaid waivers are used, if any?
Medicaid - Chapter 400 (specifically 403.6F)
Is digital peer support available? Medicaid reimbursable?

Is there a statewide Peer Specialist organization?
Name of Statewide Peer Specialists Organization*
Nevada Peer Leadership Advisory Council (NPLAC)
Peer Specialists Organization Website*

Peer Specialists Organization Primary Contact*
Jeanyne Ward: [email protected]
Other relevant/helpful contacts:*
For more information about training (from Foundations for Recovery) contact Sean O'Donnell Email: [email protected] Phone: 702-461-9649
Are there conferences held in the state specifically for Peer Supporters?

If there are recent changes to the certification process due to COVID-19, are the changes permanent, temporary or other?

We Want to Hear From You

If you have any additional information or updates you would like seen on our site, click on "Share Helpful Information." We’re always trying to improve our content. Click on "Give Us Your Feedback” to let us know how we’re doing.