Eliminating Seclusion and Restraints

Need Assistance with Seclusion and Restraints in your State? State Mental Health Program Directors are your state’s leaders in the area of mental health. While they do not handle individual situations with those needing or using services, their office can help you locate the types of services you may need, especially in the event of the misuse of seclusion and restraint. The Offices of Consumer Affairs (OCA) are usually part of the State Mental Health Program Directors office but are excellent resources to help you understand your rights and to direct you to resources that might be available. Usually, the director of the OCA is a person with lived experience with mental health and or substance use issues. They can also direct you to the State Ombudsmen’s Office as well.